Entering and leaving Lowestoft Harbour and the RNSYC marina
In view of the narrowness of the harbour entrance and also the bridge channel,
the movement of traffic within Lowestoft Harbour is strictly controlled.
Small craft approaching the harbour, particularly from the north, may be out of sight
of the control tower until open of the entrance itself. Monitor Lowestoft Harbour Control
on VHF Ch 14.
Entering the harbour
1. Arriving off the entrance, call Lowestoft Harbour on VHF Ch 14 (or phone 01502 572286)
for clearance to enter. Craft unable to contact the control tower should proceed with
great caution, obeying the traffic signals.
2. Entry is controlled by lights on the South Pierhead:
-- 3 RED (vertical): entry prohibited.
-- GREEN WHITE GREEN (vertical): OK to enter with caution.
Entering the marina
When entering the marina, proceed at slow speed; there may well be craft milling about inside waiting to come out.
Leaving the marina
1. No craft should attempt to leave the marina without first obtaining clearance from the control tower. Those without VHF MUST contact the control tower by telephone or in person. Having received clearance, obey the exit signals.
2. Exiting the marina is controlled by lights on the east side of the
-- 3 RED (vertical): passage prohibited
-- GREEN WHITE GREEN (vertical): OK to leave with caution
Leaving the harbour
1. Keep well over to starboard
2. Obey the traffic signals on the South Pierhead
Plans of the Approaches, Lowestoft Harbour and RNSYC Marina